My mom came to visit in December toting a hometown favourite, granola from Pure Vanilla Bakery & Cafe. I have ample warm, fuzzy, soul-filling memories in their cafe; from coffee dates with my mom to sitting on their patio with three of my nearest, dearest education friends, dreaming about our futures. So their granola is a little taste of home every time. I decided to flex some creative muscles in how to make the most of my coveted granola; yogurt and granola just isn’t good enough. Instead I whipped some smoothie bowls, whcih were fast, simple and perfect. They’re also whole 30, paleo and vegan approved. Enjoy!
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup frozen fruit (I used strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and mango)
- 2 large handfuls greens (spinach or kale, Swiss chard or a mix of all of them)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water (can sub for almond milk if you wish it to be creamy)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (optional: skip if doing whole 30)
- Topping of your choice. I like to mix is up, some of my favorite toppings are:
- fresh fruit (kiwi, strawberries, bananas, berries etc.)
- nuts (sliced almonds, crushed walnuts, pecans etc.)
- seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, flax, hemp etc.)
- unsweetened, shredded coconut
- granola (obviously)
- for additional topping information check out #smoothiebowls on insta
- Place all the banana, frozen fruit, greens and water in the bowl of a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl.
- Top with whatever you like.
- Serve and enjoy.