Mmm, the start of summer has a arrived and with it one of my favourite seasons, as far as food goes -berry season. I have been checking our local grocery store, The Root Cellar, almost daily to little avail to see if they have brought in their 5lb flats of blueberries yet.
Another favourite of mine is sleep and before a day of constant questions, messy art projects and endless rounds of octopus I like to get as much of it as possible. So a flavourful breakfast smoothie is a quick and nutritious option that keeps me snuggled under my covers for a few extra moments before my days starts. Check out the options at the bottom because this is sort of a bonus post, as it is really a 8-in-1 smoothie recipe.
Blue Peach Summer Smoothie
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1 peach
- 1 banana
- organic carrot juice to taste
- Add the blueberries to the bowl of a blender. (I use a magic bullet because it is fast, requires minimal clean up and is the perfect serving size)
- Slice the peach (but don’t peel. There are so many nutrients in that skin) and add to the blender.
- Peel the banana, chop it up and add to the other fruit.
- Add enough carrot juice for the smoothie to blend.
I prefer cooking to baking because it’s not a concise science. So when I have left overs in the fridge I like to experiment and these modifications have turned out great:
- Add a teaspoon of ginger for an added immune boost
- Add a tablespoon of flaxseed
- Swap out half the blueberries for frozen raspberries
- Swap half (or all) the carrot juice out for your favourite greek yogurt
- If you are paleo, coconut yogurt works just as well
- Swap out some of the blueberries for a leafy green. (kale and spinach work great, swiss chard not so much)
- Swap out carrot juice for a green veggie or beet juice (sold by most organice juice companies, such as Bolthouse Farms)
- I am not one for supplements but Jameson has given his seal of approval to adding a scoop of protein powder (but be sure to add more liquid then)